Really? Well that is what my friends and family tell me and I find them to be a pretty trustworthy bunch. So how do you make this wonderful mayo and potato perfection? Well, you ask and you shall receive.
- 5 lb. bag small red potatoes
- 1 medium size bunch of green onions, cut into 1/4 length pieces
- 1/2 medium size green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1-2 packs of hickory smoked bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces. (how much you use depends on how much you love bacon, mmm bacon, totally a 2 pack of bacon family here)
- 8oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
- Put the red potatoes whole into a large pot of water to boil.
- While the potatoes are cooking chop and cook the bacon, draining it and setting it to the side. You can also use this time to prep your other ingredients, shred the cheese, dice the bell pepper and onions.
- Once the potatoes are soft through with a fork drain and transfer to a large bowl. Slice potatoes into rough bite size pieces being careful not to make it “mushy”.
- Add all other ingredients and mix carefully making sure not to mash the potatoes. You may need to add more mayonnaise or Dijon mustard once you have it mixed and taste it. Also some people like a dry potato salad and some like it to be a little on the wet side. Depending on your preference is how much mayonnaise and mustard you are going to want, just add gradually as you mix keeping an eye out for the texture you like.
I LOVE this recipe, and my friends and family request I bring it to all the get-togethers, even when I don’t really feel like it fits the food theme. Traditional turkey dinner and you want me to bring what??? This recipe is a variation of one I had at a friend’s summer barbecue several years ago but that I have modified here and there. Hope your family enjoys it as much as ours does. Oh and this potato salad is unusual in that it is at its best when just made and still warm; it is delicious after being refrigerated, but when it is still warm and the cheese is all melty it is absolutely divine.